SEARCH TOOL

Sunday, July 11, 2010

Preservation Link goes to Africa


Jumbo, Jumbo! Karibuni! Jina lako nii Karen. (Hello, Welcome, my name is Karen)

I want to first say Asante Sana (thank you very much) to Dave and Shaun for giving me the opportunity to take part in this wonderful experience of working with Preservation Link this summer. I have had the fortunate opportunity of working with them in the past and I think it's wonderful that we have found new and creative ways to continue our working relationhsip. As part of my working with Preservation Link, I will be blogging about my trip to Kenya, Africa this past July and how the students from the Mahenzo Mission School was given the opportunity to take part in Preservation Link's, Point of View, workshop.

Over the next few weeks, I will be sharing with you my insight along with other resources my perspective on the Point of View workshop, the students who participated, the teachers, the school, and Malindi, Kenya.

When the opportunity for me to go to Malindi, Kenya presented itself, I was so excited. I didn't really know what to expect, except from what we had been learning, from a gentlemen Mr. Samson (Kenyan-born), who had been teaching us Swahili and giving us insight into Africa. However, you can never be truly ready for a trip like this until you are there. I remember having a dream months before the trip about my being there with the children and from that moment, I felt peace come over me. Going there was a dream come true. I enjoyed every minute I spent with the teachers and students. It was definitely a life-changing experience that I could never fully describe but only feel in my heart. My heart glows brightly whenever I remininsce about my being in Africa. I have many moments that I wished I could bottle up and share with everyone, however,
I will do my best to capture these moment through photos and videos.

This experience as widen my perspective on life, my relationships with others, and who I want to become when I grow up,lol.

Asante (Thank you)!

1 comment:

  1. I just commented something and it got deleted! GRRRRRR! I was just telling you how happy I am you are in Kenya. That cultural exchange is very satisfying and enriches you as a person for sure.

    Wish you the best!

    ReplyDelete